WHAT IS KOODARA YOGAM?
Koodara Yogam is the area level gathering of parishioners for prayer, discussion, and socialization for the betterment of the parishioners and parish with the participation of parish priest.
PURPOSE OF KOODARA YOGAM?
– Koodara Yogam helps to structure the parish in area level with maximum participation of all the parishioners.
– It is a community outreach program of the parish where priests and sisters can meet with parishioners in small groups for prayer, discussion and mingling.
– It will give opportunity to clarify any concerns of the parishioners on church in general and parish activities.
– It will help to discuss current issues and develop new action plans for the parish.
FUNCTIONS KOODARA YOGAM
– Half an hour prayer for adults in Malayalam and for children in English using approved prayer book.
– Awareness presentations and discussions on topics like Church, Liturgy, Community, Youth, and Social issues.
– Koodara yogam level support to parish activities like parish day, feast procession arrangement, adoration, collection, entertainments, communication network, Christmas Carol, and Bible Quiz Competition.
– Selection of representatives to parish council, and to various pious associations and ministries of the parish as area coordinators.
FORMATION OF KOODARA YOGAMS
– With the initiative or approval of the vicar parish, boundaries of Koodara Yogams will be decided considering the residence of parishioners.
– Parish level coordinators will help the parish priest in organizing Koodara Yogams and coordinating their activities in parish level.
– Each Koodara Yogam will select a coordinator, secretary, treasurer and children prayer coordinator as office bearers.
– Representatives shall be selected for parish council, pious associations like St. Vincent de Paul Society, Legion of Mary, and ministries for different ages, and various other bodies of the parish like prayer group, and agape (social service).
– If food arrangement for the Koodara Yogam is by way of potluck, a food coordinator shall also be selected.
– The term of office bearers will be one year.
– Each Koodara Yogam will select a patron saint and the Koodara Yogam will be known by that saint’s name.
– A portable statue of the patron saint will be bought.
– The coordinator will make sure that Koodara Yogams are held on a regular basis like once a month or at least once in two months, or as decided by the vicar.
– The hosting family will fix a date and time for Koodara Yogam that is convenient for the vicar.
– The coordinator and the hosting family will invite all the member families of the Koodara Yogams for the upcoming Koodara Yogam.
– If potluck system is followed for food, the food coordinator will assign families for their food item to bring.
– The children coordinator will invite all the children and youth for the Koodara Yogam.
– The coordinator and hosting family shall make sure that the Koodara Yogam prayer books and statue of the patron saint are brought to the house the upcoming gathering on time.
– The hosting family will setup separate rooms for adult gathering and children gathering with Holy Bible, Candle, statue or picture of patron saint, and enough chairs.
– Koodara Yogam will start with half-hour prayer separate for adults in Malayalam and for children and youth in English.
– Priest, sister, or the coordinator will lead the prayer. Sister or youth coordinator will lead the prayers for children and youth.
– Lady of the family will do the first reading during prayer service.
– After the prayers, a combined meeting of all including children and youth will be held.
– The head of the hosting family will welcome all to the gathering.
– Secretary will present report of the previous meeting.
– Treasurer will present any account updates.
– Vicar will make any update from the parish.
– The coordinator will mark the attendance of families present and introduce any topic related to the Koodara Yogam.
– Presentation of any topic related to church, community, children formation, or social issues will be presented by person assigned for that followed by discussion.
– Celebration of birthday, wedding anniversary, and achievements of the Koodara Yogam members.
– Entertainments if any of children present.
– Any of the member families will host the next meeting and take the prayer books and statue of the patron saint to their house for the next gathering.
– Thanks by the coordinator of the Koodara Yogam.
– Food blessing and agape meal.
– Only approved prayer books shall be used for Koodara Yogams.
– Koodara Yogams shall buy enough prayer books for the active participation of all.
– If food is provided by host family, the food shall be simple and affordable for all member families.
– Alcohol shall not be provided during Koodara Yogam gathering.
– Children and youth shall have enough involvement and participation.